Saturday, September 24, 2016

What's Your Process?

What's your process?

Generally speaking, I'm an outliner. If I'm writing non-fiction, I collect my information, categorize it and, voila! an outline. When I'm writing fiction, I write an outline of the major action points and fill in the details. That works most of the time, though I was surprised once by discovering that my male love interest was someone other than I had planned.

But, on my most recent book, an adoption memoir, I used a writing book entitled Imaginative Writing. I used the exercises as a starting point for sparking thoughts and memories. The author said her personal process was to write scenes as they came to mind, and then tack them together in a way that made sense. So, I used that as well and I got some beautiful rhetoric out of it, being less businesslike, as you might say, as I wrote. If you've found me on Facebook, you may have noticed I missed a few vital points in my first draft, but that's what rewrites are for!

What's your process?

No comments:

Post a Comment